Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Great Escape

Alright, Argentina, weve had some good times, but you gotta let go. Seriously, Ive got people to see and things to do that happen to be in a different country. Its not your fault, but you are going to have to accept the fact that we cant keep doing this forever. You´ve turned into that creepy host that won´t let guests leave, even when the party is clearly over. You are reminding me of that woman that George from Seinfeld dates and when he tries to break up with her, she won´t let him. Honestly, it´s nothing personal, but if you don´t let me go now, you risk tainting all the beauty we created together.

So, I planned on being in Santiago, Chile about a week ago now and I have yet to set foot on Chilean soil. My first attempt to bus from Mendoza, Argentina to Santiago, Chile met a bitter end when I decided that I couldnt be bothered by travel and opted for a nice sleeping session. Ok, my fault, but still, strike one. The next day, I found out the hard way that buses stop running at 1 PM and I was a bit late. I´m only taking half the blame here, but strike two. Finally, I´m on top of my game the third day. Bus station. On time. Let´s do this thing. What? The pass is closed? No buses for how many days? I take no blame for this. And yes, that´s strike three.

So, I flashed Santiago a choice finger and headed North. Back to Salta. Back to where my Argentine adventures first began. It only makes sense that I end the epic Argentine journey where it started. Well, not logistically, financially, logically, or really any other kind of sense. You know, except metaphorically. So that´s good enough for me.

Plus, metaphors aside, now I get to attempt a crossing into Chile at a different location and spend some time in the Atacama Desert. It´s the driest place on earth, but legend has it that it can also be one of the most beautiful. This is all assuming I survive the bus journey that crawls through the mountains to an elevation of 13,000 feet or so. The fact that the bus is equipped with oxygen makes me wonder a bit.

If all goes well, I should be in Arequipa, Peru in about a week to settle down for a bit. I´m super excited to live with my adoptive family and really try and get some Spanish dialed in.

Well, there is your update. Pictures and all that good stuff to come.

Soooooooooooo much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment