Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Five Good Signs

Here are five signs that lead me to believe that I am getting somewhat decent at this whole traveling thing.

I no longer need a ladder to get on the top bunk.

The majority of my sleeping quarters come in the form of a 6-10 bed dorm room. A common set up for these beds is bunk style. A bottom bed is preferred, but sometimes I can't help getting stuck with a top bunk. In my early travel days I would dread the top as it meant fumbling around with an awkward, unreliable, sketchy ladder to get up or down. But after some practice, I have gotten good enough to bypass that pesky ladder altogether. When I want up, I simply give myself a running start, use a proper J style approach, and high jump my way onto that bed. I've found that both the Fosbury Flop and the Western Roll are equally effective techniques. When I want down, I leap towards the ground below and upon contact, I tuck into a ninja roll for the perfect dismount every time.

My backpack hasn't burst with too much stuff.

Normally, when you go on a trip your bag is reasonably full when you leave, but when you pack to leave, somehow you've accumulated more stuff and your bag refuses to close and/or be under the 50 lb limit for flying. So far, I have done well to keep my bag from becoming too full. I left with it packed to the brim, have indeed added things along the way, but if anything, I've only made extra room. There is one key to my success in not overpacking. The secret lies in developing your skills at losing stuff. Falling victim to this phenomenon is a sock, 1 pair of pants, 1 shirt, 2 towels, and 4 flip flops. Watch out possessions of mine, for none of you are safe from my forgetfulness.

I've lost weight.

In four months I've lost 20 pounds. I suppose that's what eating less and mildly healthier does to you. But to be fair, the weight I lost was probably just the 20 pounds of muscle I brought with me, because I'm down to about zero of that commodity at the moment. Of course I could also attribute some of the weight loss to the fact that I haven't touched a McDonalds since I left and Taco Bell just doesn't exist. By the way, did you know Burger King delivers in Buenos Aires? Ridiculous.

I can drink the water.

Through a series of accidents and trickery, I've found that I have developed the ability to drink some of the tap water. I don't like to abuse this new talent, because I never know when the wrong sip will decommission me for a bit, but it's just nice to know I don't have to fully rely on bottled water wherever I go.

Transportation without cost.

Somehow I've managed to catch a ride with 3 taxis and 2 buses without paying a single peso. No, I wasn't being cheap I literally just didn't have any money. I've learned that it is always best to have some cash on you even if you don't think you'll need it. This holds especially true at boarder crossings. This holds truest at boarder crossings when you are trying to leave a country you weren't suppose to be in originally. Need a ride? Got no money? Here's how: be honest about the fact that you are broke, look pathetic, portray a lost person, and act confused. Of course it's always easier if you really are pathetic, lost, and confused.

So there it is, five ways I know that my skills as a traveler are indeed developing. Stay tuned for the next edition in which I'll keep myself grounded by discussing five ways I know that I haven't quite attained a professional level of traveler.......yet.

Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment