Thursday, April 28, 2011

Machu Picchu!!!









Machu Picchu

Before coming to Peru, I only knew of two ways to get to Machu Picchu. There is the famous 4 day Inca Trail which happens to cost around $600. Then there is the less costly but far more less awesome train ride for the elderly, disabled, out of shape or those strapped for cash. I had all but resigned to the horrific idea of joining the poor pathetic masses on the train due to cost, but once I had spent some time in Peru I began hearing rumors. Tales of an alternative epic journey to Machu Picchu were whispered by the wind. After some thorough investigation the rumors proved true and I could not have been more thrilled!

For less than half the price of the Inca Trek I would be doing the alternate 4 day route known as the Jungle Trek. It still follows some original Incan trails but the possibility and logistics of this trek have only recently been discovered by a man named Lorenzo. So, when I arrived in Cusco I tracked Lorenzo down and got on his next tour. 

I have yet to reveal what truly blows the door off the hinges of awesomeness and makes this trek amazing. But friends, the time is now. 

While others simply hike or take the train to Machu Picchu, I would be trekking, mtn biking, white water rafting, and zip lining my way to one of the 7 wonders of the world! Go ahead and read that again. Now close that gaping mouth of yours. Yeah, I zoomed across cables hundreds of feet above the jungle canopy in search of the great lost Incan city. And that was only one crazy forms of transportation I used to navigate the Peruvian jungle.

The only thing that could make that experience better would be the people with me. Yes, my group of ten were equally fantastic and the guides were super as well. 

So after three days of sweet experiences I will never forget, I still had Machu Picchu the next day. To be honest, I was a little worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, especially after the crazy fun days leading up to it. But I was not let down.

You would think waking up at 4 AM to race up 2000 steps against 400 other people might put a damper on things. False. It only makes gazing upon the forgotten city at first light that much tastier. 

After a tour of the ruins, I hiked the mountain overlooking the city. Note: the mountain is actually named Machu Picchu and no one actually knows what the city was called. Anyway, the view from the top was indescribable. So guess what, I'm not even going to try. Pictures are also incapable of doing it justice. All I can say is that it literally took my breathe away. And no, that was not an effect of the altitude. 

Now, I'm not going to bother writing all the things I learned or anymore details about those 4 days. Basically there is too much material. But please, if you would like to know more, ask me when I get back. I would love nothing more than to sit down with you over a cup of your favorite beverage, and tell you all about one of the greatest experiences of my life. And then we will hug.

Lovsies

3 comments:

  1. Still love the clouds, mountain tip, bird picture you captured. One of your best yet. Keep the stories comin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! How long are you going to be having these crazy adventures? I'm coming down this Summer, probably the first two weeks in August. We need to communicate (if you know what I mean ;). rylandstucke@gmail.com
    -R

    ReplyDelete